Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Apache Wicket

in May I came across Apache Wicket
and I really became a big fan of this framework
in a very short time I was able to rewrite a web application based on another (JSF-based) framework by following the examples from

Wicket in Action
by Martijn Dashorst and Eelco Hillenius

What I found difficult was the migration from the already implemented web application from Wicket 1.3.1 to Wicket 1.4.8

here are some notes I took back then

1) instead of MarkupContainer use WebMarkupContainer (Form.add() does not accept MarkupContainer as an argument)
2) wicket configuration web.xml -> wicket.configuration
3) instead of getModel() and setModel(), getDefaultModel() and setDefaultModel() to be used
4) messages are not displayed -> FeedbackPanel has to be inherited
5) validation -> ListView -> text fields into ListItem
6) Error Page

(why I rewrote the web application - I didn't have this planned, although I didn't like its performance... it always amazes me how a specification, in this case JSF is turned into an implementation, in this case Woodstock and then ICEFaces...)
so, I just started evaluating wicket rewriting a web application that is small from one hand and known to me on other hand. I liked so much wicket, so what was started just an evaluation project, became a replacement of the original implementation. the performance is just great.... and not just that ... it is very pleasant to use wicket !)

No comments:

Post a Comment